Modern British Values are promoted at The Stephen Longfellow Academy through our curriculum, assemblies, events, and in our extra-curricular activities.
The Modern British Values are:
The rule of law
Committed to Serving Our Community
At The Stephen Longfellow Academy, we recognise the multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing nature of our local community, the United Kingdom, and our global community. We have an important role in making sure our pupils and staff are not intimidated, discriminated against, or coerced with regards to radicalisation.
The Stephen Longfellow Academy is dedicated to preparing pupils for adulthood beyond the formal curriculum. Our aim is to promote and reinforce these lifelong values in all of our pupils. We seek to actively challenge pupils, staff or parents expressing opinions which go against the Modern British Values.
Preventing Radicalisation and Extremism
Terms and Definitions
- Extremism – vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values, such as democracy, the rule of law and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.
- Ideology – a set of beliefs.
- Terrorism – the process by which a person comes to support extremism or terrorism .
- Radicalisation – the process by which a person comes to support extremism and terrorism.
Why do pupils need to learn about radicalisation and extremism?
- Education is a powerful tool which gives pupils the knowledge and skills to think for themselves and challenge the opinions of others.
- It gives pupils the opportunity to learn about different cultures and faiths.
- It helps pupils to gain an understanding of the values we all share.
- Exploring ideas and developing a sense of identity and your own views are a normal part of growing up.
- The Stephen Longfellow Academy provides a safe environment to talk about issues and discuss opinions.
- Pupils will benefit from understanding how they can resist pressure and force.
At The Stephen Longfellow Academy, we are committed to safeguarding all of our pupils. Safeguarding against radicalisation and extremism is no different to safeguarding against any other vulnerability.
Our Extremism and Radicalisation Policy sets out our beliefs, strategies and procedures to protect vulnerable individuals from being radicalised of exposed to extremist views.